Monday, July 20, 2009

Trail work July 18 and 19th 2009

Date of trail work ...... 18 & 19, 2009
Number of workers .... 1
Time spent .................... 11.5 hours (includes commute from Oak Ridge)
 
Summary report:
 
Well this trip was part work and mostly pleasure ... listing just the amount of time worked and travel time ... not the night I spent.
 
Ken and I arrived a bit after 8:00 am and got cars moved in position and back to South Rock Jock ... and started the trip. It started out nice and cool with low humidity but it didn't take long to work up a serious sweat in the sun. We worked from the trail head to where Jim had ended up last trip.
 
Had a great day working with Ken. I'm not sure but bending over clipping brush and briars with a backpack ... probably wasn't my best plan! That said I think we did a great job of getting Rock Jock clean clear and easy to follow. Few trees that we still need cross cut work ... or cooler weather!
 
It was great meeting Jim along the trail and getting to meet his son.
 
Ken and I took out one cluster of trees and another one on the south end. I encountered on big tree on the north end on my walk out that needs a cross cut crew for sure ... it's located at N 36 52.360', W 081 54.270'.
 
Speaking on the walk out this morning ... Jim and Ken had it so clean and groomed ... I kind of snipped as I walked at just a few remaining stragglers .... and that's about it.
 
Ken's report covers a lot of what happened but I need to add ... the low blue berries were sweet and plentiful and a true treat of the trail after the burn is the growth of Blackberries! Yes ... I avoided cutting absolutely no briars ... EXCEPT those that grew Blackberries!!! Like Ken said ... should have had a stick of butter, suger and a little flour ... and I'd have had cobbler for dinner!
 
Had a great night above Razor's Edge ... slept like a baby in my hammock. Most of the water sources are nearly dried up along Rock Jock ... Mossy, Zen Creek and just a little flow on Bluejay ... but the stream on Razor almost to the cliffs ... has a bit more flow and a most excellent taste!
That stream can be found at N 35 52.367, W081 54.287.
 
Going to have to do that again ... great place to spend a night.
 
Regards .... Michael
 

No comments:

Post a Comment