Thursday, August 6, 2009

work report 8/6/2009 Pinch In

Date of work 8/6/2009
Number of workers: 1 really- two went but only one worked the other
packed out the backpack.

time spent: 5 hours includes commute

Work accomplished:

Since it was hot the pulaski stayed in the truck. Only the shears went
down. I clipped as we went down Pinch In trail.

It was very obvious where the trail was and I clipped it a little wider
in the more narrow places.

At the bottom but before the river, as you enter deep woods I veered off
the trail to the north, looked for a path to the creek , crossed the
creek and looked at the camping possibilities. My landmark for leaving
the trail is just as it turns back to the right.

Most of the tree canopy was alive, plenty of firewood, the creek had
running water in it. There was one area that looked like a good place
for a campfire. No trees were near, no branches overhanging and a small
hole in the canopy about 100' up. Its at least a 150 yards off the
trail, and a good location for camping. It may be too rocky for tents,
some rocks might have to be moved, but the slope just about right -
slight downslope.

I thought it might be a good place, and it is.

Jared and I returned to the trail and hiked out. 1 hour 20 minutes
getting down and surveying the campsite, 1 hour 40 minutes up and out.
He carried the backpack.

Oh there is several new fallen trees across Pinch In. There is a big
step over (20-24" diameter hardwood -one cut, and several further down-
looks like a couple of tree tops right in the middle of the trail.
Hikers have been detouring around to the south side, I cleared some
brush to make the detour a little easier. My pulaski was in the truck.
When I do clear it, blocking the detour will be no problem.

It was a good day in the woods, but I'm tired and sore.

Jim d

No comments:

Post a Comment