Monday, July 20, 2009

Work Report - Rockjock - 19july2009

Work Date: 7/19/2009
Workers : 1 Kenneth Crump
time spent: 11.5 hours including commute time
Work done: Shearing summer growth along Rockjock Trail

I met Michael at Conley Cove just before 8:30am.  Michael was plannng to
thru-hike Rockjock, working along the way and to camp Sunday night somewhere
in the Razor's Edge area. We left his car at Conley and took mine to the
south end of the trail and were soon on the trail. The work zone started just
north of Tshirt point, but we did some light clipping before that, and removed
two trees along the way.  After Tshirt Point we were working both sides of the
trail with shears, trying to close the gap to where Jim had reached last Thursday
in Moonshine Canyon.

Despite the weather forecast, it was hot and sweaty work. Upon entering Moonshine
we had pretty much run out of energy, and began just making sure the trail was passable
and open. We made sure to get all the briars and clear the foot path, but cutting
wide was pretty much over.

There are two drainage areas in the back of Moonshine about 100 yards apart.
We stopped at the southern most one for a break.  I knew Jim's Thursday work
should have reached the northern drainage.  I hiked up there and found the end of
his work, then went back to Michael.  We were hearing voices up in the Chimney
area, then suddenly heard voices nearby.  Someone was coming!  After listening
a minute and hearing no more we started working again, rounded a corner to
find Jim clipping away.  Michael moved on north to find a camping spot while
Jim, Jared and I finished up that short area and then worked back to the north.

I failed to mention this earlier.  Michael and I were clearing the heavy weeds in
the back of the first drainage north of Tshirt, when I heard something snap ahead.
I looked up and saw a lady crossing a small pine log.  She was saying something, so
I figured there was someone else behind her.  Turned out there was not.  She
was alone, thru-hiking Rockjock.  She said she'd been this far south before, but
had turned around and gone back to the north. She was from Newton, NC, but if
she gave her name I've forgotten it.  We gave her some pointers for getting through
Mossy Canyon, and she continued on.  Wish I could get my wife to even enter
the woods!!

Since Jim was parked to the north, I hiked on through with them.  Jim and I
visited Michael's camp for a bit and returned his loppers we'd been using, then
we were off for Conley.  Jim and Jared gave me a ride back to my vehicle.

It was a long day, and I'm a little slow today, but Rockjock should be good
on into the fall now.

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment