Sunday, July 18, 2010

7-18-2010 Conley cove

Date of work 7-18-2010
number of workers :one Jim de Friess- Ken will supply his own report
Hours worked :9 hours (includes commute)

Work accomplished we clipped Conley Cove on the way down and on the way back up.  I would say the lowest third is in the best shape.

Now for the story.
I met Ken at 8:30 at Conley cove proper.  The plan was to take a walk to the river, look at the LGT for signs of work, and then clip Conley on the way up.  We had brought hammocks and planned to lollygag some, maybe not even make it to the river.  So much for plans, about 1/3 way down we were into full fledged clipping and clipped to the bottom.  Then we hiked north looking at cut trees along LGT.  Some were, others not, still some across the trail.  We passed some campers, said we were doing trail work and they asked if we cut the stinging stuff.  We also passed three grateful hikers on the way down and they asked the same question.  Evidently stinging nettle has quite a reputation.  We saw a house sized rock in the river and worked down to it taking a break in the shade.

Then we started back clipping on the way up.  About a third of the way up I think we were spent, I know I was.  We talked coming down, but going up it was relatively silent.  Our clipping got less.  We made it back to the trucks with a couple rest stops.

On the way home there was quite a shower in the lower gorge near Shortoff that I could see from Dogback (where it wasn't raining).  I met two vehicles at the top of the paved part, backing back down myself both times.

It was shears only, thankfully Ken talked me into leaving the pulaski in the truck.

Normally our ambitions outweigh our capabilities- we end up doing less than planned.  This time we accomplished far more than we set out to do.  It was a great day with great company as always.

Ken has pics, I forgot my cam.

No comments:

Post a Comment