Friday, April 29, 2011

Wolfpit trail and MST to river

https://picasaweb.google.com/jdefriess/Apr292011ShortoffMSTarea?authkey=Gv1sRgCNOcs-jzscjYGQ#

Photos at link above.

Date of work:  4/29/2011
Number of Workers: 1 Jim de Friess
Time spent : 6 hours including commute

Work accomplished:  I was planning to camp along the lower part of MST and work the mile of trail or so as it ascends Shortoff.  Leaving Wolfpit I ascended to a point where 2 orange flags were to the left of the trail at a sharp right hand bend.  Following the path by the flags it remained on contour and took me to the MST on the ridge just above where the cliff ends to the NW.

I descended MST about a 100 yards and headed over to survey the terrain to the NW.  MST was in fabulous shape, clipped about 4' wide for the as far as I could see up and down.  After surveying I descended to another part to get a better MST look to the SW.  Clear.

I hiked up the hill and found the trail condition consistent all the way to the intersection with the trail to wolfpit.  At that intersection I descended and de-limbed a tree.  The rest of the way down I cleared waterbars.  Where water was actively running down the trail I looked for the first opportunity to divert it.  There are sections that have water running down the trail 20-30'.  At one particular point I noticed the waterbar was diverting it off the trail, however it was coming right back on 15' later.  I cut two pine logs to build a better (longer) waterbar to prevent it from running back on- I was successful.  Where the water does still run down the trail, I tried to channel it to one side.  In that one area, prior, the water was running about 100' down the trail, now its about 30'.

The waterbars have held up well, the trail was mostly dry.  One was filled up and I couldn't clear it- I was tired and a lot of digging would be required.  Near the trail head there was another tree across the trail.  Its gone.

A good day in the woods, the trail up Shortoff from Wolfpit and MST down to the river are in wonderful shape.  

No comments:

Post a Comment