Saturday, November 27, 2010

Southern RJ 11-10-2010

Date of work 11-27-2010
Number of workers: 1 Jim de Friess
time spent:9 hours- includes commute

Work accomplished: Worked RJ from the back of Mossy canyon around to past Mossy falls with shears and pulaski as needed.

I had intended to camp at the Mossy falls- well sometimes you get the gorge and sometimes the gorge gets you.  I arrived with aspirations of finding suitable poles and pitching my hammock in that area.  The wind was whipping up when I parked, and there just isn't a place out there, without dead trees threatening.  I could have slept on the ground but that would have been under a widomaker too.  I don't think any of them will fall immanently but if you are wrong you are dead or hurt.

I did start a small fire before I gave up.  It was scary how fast and easy that wood burned.  I match started it, and consequently I kept the fire quite small.  I threw some of wood over the cliff.  The wind kept it fanned at times, even in the canyon.

I cleared the branches at the falls leaving just the trunk over the falls, its now much easier to get to the falls to get water.  The falls was running by the way it took about 3 minutes to fill up a quart canteen at the best spot, there was probably 20 similar to less streams.

I took turns pondering hammock set up and doing trail work.  I worked from the falls north up to the first hill top.  Then back to check the fire and I worked the scramble part we refer to as Underwood's stairs.  They are much better now.  One trunk across the trail there, but easy to step over.

After doing Underwood's stairs I left the tools on top, and went back for the backpack.  The fire was about out, but I put about 4 quarts of water on it and the rearranged the rocks to improve footing over toward the falls.  This decided it for me to hike back out to the truck- putting my water on the fire.  I watered the rocks too.

Then I snipped and walked south by the cave.  I de-branched a pine trunk to make one area easier to pass. I got the little hemlocks near the big trunk I notched.  At the back of Mossy I just walked out.  A couple of trees that need to be straddled but I was tired and had a hill to climb. 

I took a few pictures, very few, nearly lost my Rat Hat in the wind.  I did see a laurel bloom (November bloom)- pretty neat.  It was at the top of Underwood's stairs.  I saw some icicles hanging from the falls when I got there- about 10am.

Next time I'll plan to go where there are suitable trees. 

Jim d

No comments:

Post a Comment