Saturday, September 18, 2010

Trail up Shortoff 9-18-2010

Date of work: 9/18/2010
Number of workers: 2 - Jim and Jared de Friess
Time spent :6.5 hours total includes commute
Work done: Kept clipping up the hill.

We started late, and we didn't stay long. I worked about 2 hours and Jared worked about 30 minutes. He went up to the top of Shortoff, and mistakenly took MTS down the ridge for a while, before backtracking. There really needs to be a sign there, I'm considering putting some flagging up and using a sharpie to write notes stating where the trails go.

I clipped, cleaned out and water bars. There was a locust thicket on the trail and I did 2' on each side of the trail for about 100 yards. I left the hardwoods to grow and cut back what was shading them. There was a red oak trunk across the trail, I was able to cut it once and move it down the trail. One end is still in the trail (but can be walked around), the other makes a good place to sit and rest.

I still haven't made it as far as Ken and I did that one day, but the trail is in good shape where I've been.

A former student walked by, he said he had been wondering how to get in touch with me. I told him to just come to the gorge and hike. He saw my pic on lg.net (I'm guessing at Hackers)- he asked how hard that was to get to. He wants to do the loop down Pinch In, up LGT and out Conley. If we can get people on RJ its a good little loop.

Another good day in the gorge

No comments:

Post a Comment