Thursday, October 22, 2009

10/22/2009 Upper Pinch In

Date of work 10/22/2009
Number of workers 1 (Jim de Friess)
time spent 6 hours (includes commute)

I've started a waterbar project for Pinch In. My goal is to make the
trail down to Falcon rock marvelous. With this in mind I go out there
and look for places with evidence of water running down the trail, and
then waterbar accordingly. Calling them dips would not fit the
definition, but I do try and make a nice wide berm- they seem to hold up
far better.

I was just on Pinch In last week and two trees had fallen across the
trail in that time. One was 100' from the trail entrance. When it hit
it shattered (from brittleness) and no cuts were necessary. It was just
a matter of clearing the brush from the trail.

I cleaned out/built waterbars where I thought they were needed. Some
are as close as 20-30' apart, but the trail should hold up better.

Near the place where several trees had fallen across the trail and I had
it temporarily re-routed for a time - finally getting it open again
recently- there was yet another tree across the trail. It too was hard
and brittle, so it was easy to clear.

I looked at standing leaners on the way down. One being beside the
trail I weakened it in a direction I ultimately wanted it to fall. It
was hard wood, and I did no more chopping on standing deads. It is my
hope they will fall and break up as the one near the trail head did.
There are multiple that will eventually fall across the trail. I can't
count and walk up and out- sorry- I lose track. I would need to mark
something as I count. For that reason the number of waterbars put in is
a guess. I'm guessing 10-12 majors ones. 6-8 minor ones. The
difference being some parts of the trail a mound of dirt is all that is
required, the runoff is there. Other parts the water has been running
down the trail eroding it. To get the water off and berm, you need more
dirt and you have to dig further for drainage.

I didn't get as far as I wanted to, but I did make progress. I'm
pleased with it.

The maples are really showing off - green, yellow, orange and red all on
the same tree. Green is about gone higher up.

A wonderful day in the woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment