Sunday, February 8, 2015

Pinch In Feb 8-2015

Time spent 5.5 hours (includes commute) subtracted off trail time
number of workers 1- Jim de Friess
work done:  clipped briers only while descending to the lower part of Pinch In.  OInce below the cliff area I built a few water features, chopping one dead leaning pine down and using it, 8 years post fire it was well hardened. Plus it was leaning across the trail such that I could chop with no danger to me.   The lower 10' is now a waterbar.  I built a few more down the ridge, and on the way out up the ridge.

Where the trail turns off the ridge I went off trail, lots of briers and devil's walking stick trees, but I pushed through them down to the shaded bluff area (200 yards).  From there I wanted to find a way to LGT south, so I tried the south ridge.  it initially looked promising but was too steep ultimately.  After coming down it through downed trees I easily found the LGT.  I went north and then down into the flat bottom land beside the river.  Found a campsite and then looked for a place to sit for lunch.  Found/made some poles and lashed a tripod to try out my hammock chair.  The perfect trees with river view are never there, with the tripod -although it took time to make - I was able to place it in the shade for lunch.  My crosspiece broke, I needed a green stick, and just used a cord.  Had a good seat perfectly shaded, as the sun moved it warmed my back after lunch which I didn't mind I think I did actually doze as I looked up stream hoping to see a bear.

The LGT has lots of limbs on it, I threw some off before taking my shortcut back to Pinch In.  Once on Pinch In I worked back up getting out around 5pm.  Saw 2 hikers and a dog ahead of me when I got on the trail. they were soon out of site.  Another couple passed me, near the top a dog caught up with me followed by his owner, they passed me too.

Great day in the woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment